Support for Matlab's 7.3 file format

From: LachlanA
Subject: Support for Matlab's 7.3 file format
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 23:23:09 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings all,

I'd like to be able to read Matlab v7.3 HDF5 files, since I need to work
with >2GB files.  Does anyone have any tips?  From bug #45706, I assume it
is still unsupported.

In 2007, Christopher Hulbert said that he had started writing code to read
v7.3 files
[http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/New-undocumented-mat-file-format-tc1645399.html],
but I haven't seen signs of that in the code.

In 2013 at
[http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Reading-Matlab-td4650158.html], jwe
wrote:

> The code in Octave for handling HDF5 files was written long before
> Matlab's save function was changed to create HDF5 files, and is only
> intended to read HDF5 files that Octave itself creates.
>
> Are you interested in contributing code to support Matlab's new HDF5
> save format?  If so, let's discuss your plans on the maintainers list.

I know basically nothing about hdf5 and so have no "plans", but would like
to have a (slow) go at this.

Thanks,
Lachlan