Re: SoCIS 2016

From: Carlo De Falco
Subject: Re: SoCIS 2016
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 17:02:13 +0000

On 21 Apr 2016, at 18:30, Oliver Heimlich <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 09.04.2016 17:09, Carlo De Falco wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had sent the message below, but
>> after Carnë's post today I went back
>> to check why nobody had responded to it.
>>

>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: Carlo de Falco <address@hidden>
>>> Subject: SoCIS 2016
>>> Date: 31 March 2016 17:31:47 GMT+2
>>> To: Octave-Maintainers <address@hidden>
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> SOCIS 2016 registration for mentoring orgs is now open.
>>> I think it would make sense to apply again this year, any objections?
>>>
>>> c.
>
> Do you know the current state of Octave's registration? The list of
> mentoring organizations isn't published yet. However, GNU Octave is
> listed in the student registration form.
>
> Has Octave been registered/accepted for 2016?

The official timeline for SOCIS is described as follows on their website:

        • March 2016: program starts, mentoring organizations can start
applying.
        • 10/04/16: mentoring organizations application deadline (11pm UTC).
        • Until 15 may 2016: Students apply
        • June-August 2016: 3-months coding period

No specific date for mentoring organization selection is given, but an upper
bound is may 15 ...

> Is the number of available slots known already?

Socis usually gives 1 slot per organization.

It happened in the past that some organization did
not manage to fill their slots, the (few) unused slots were
redistributed by a random draw among interested orgs.

So the most likely number of slots is 1.

> I'd like to mentor a student in SOCIS 2016. How do I proceed?

Socis does not require mentors to register, everything is managed
by the org admin.

So all you need to do is to add your name to the
possible mentors in the list of proposed projects which is the same
as for GSOC, which you already did.

> Best regards
> Oliver

c.