Re: GSOC 16 - Feedback form mentors on my proposal

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: GSOC 16 - Feedback form mentors on my proposal
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 07:56:51 +0200

On 28.04.2016 01:03, Jan Bok wrote:
> Hi,
> I made a proposal for GSOC 16 with the project on Interval Package,
> but I was not selected.
>
> Can you tell me feedback on my application and your suggestions?
>
> Jan

Hi Jan,

thank you very much for your application. We had three mentors
(including me) who wanted to support your project during the summer.

Since we didn't get all the requested slots from Google there had to be
a vote based on the criteria presented by Nir recently. This has been a
hard choice because we had to drop promising and feasible projects
including yours.

How could you optimize you chances next time (or during SOCIS) to be
selected? In your particular case I'd recommend to get in touch with the
community more deeply before the application: join discussions on the
mailing lists, contribute code and ideas, and thereby demonstrate to
everybody the value that you can add to the project. Maybe this could
provide you the last bit of what it needs to be selected from a set of
valuable project proposals.

Best regards
Oliver