Re: the nvidia/osmesa dilema

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: the nvidia/osmesa dilema
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 12:04:51 -0400

On 05/04/2016 11:49 AM, Mike Miller wrote:

I think patches would be welcome to make the configure script
automatically disable OSMesa if we can detect this situation somehow.

The fix probably needs to be in Octave itself since binaries built on a system with working OpenGL libraries/drivers/cards may run on systems that fail. But that's just a workaround for the real problem.

As Rik said at some point, it seems likely that we are doing something wrong in the way we are calling OpenGL functions but it is not obviously wrong or it would fail on all systems. When I was debugging, I thought maybe we weren't correctly allocating some OpenGL buffer(s), but I couldn't see where that was happening, and it seemed that all the necessary buffers were created/allocated/initialized. And (at least with the address sanitizer) it was failing for me when using either FLTK or Qt, so the initialization would have to be wrong for both toolkits. I suppose that's possible, but it seemed to me to be one more pointer that we are doing something wrong and that the problem is not the way Qt initializes the OpenGL system.

I haven't been able to duplicate this problem directly so it is difficult if not impossible for me to debug. So I either need someone to show me a way to reproduce the bug(s) or do the debugging themselves, at least to the point of finding out precisely where the crash is happening, if not why it is happening.