Re: [mxe-octave] Are hg pull and hg update required even at fresh hg clo

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: [mxe-octave] Are hg pull and hg update required even at fresh hg clone?
Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 21:10:28 -0400

On Mon, 2016-05-23 at 09:43 +0900, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
> I am trying building octave using mxe-octave.
>
> I have found that fresh clone repo directory trees are not the latest one.
> I had to execute
>
> cd (cloned directory)
> hg -v pull
> hg -v update
>

> to update the latest one.
>
> If it is true, description on the Wiki should be modified?

This happened because it the "@" bookmark keeps falling behind. By
default, hg will update to the "@" bookmark, wherever it is. I just
updated it again.

Some people update to a different revision and then do `hg update tip`
instead of `hg update @` when they create a new commit. When this
happens, the @ bookmark falls behind, because `hg update tip`
deactivates the bookmark. This is not a grave problem. The bookmark
should just be updated to where it should be.

It is useful to have this bookmark so that other bookmarks can be used
for other heads of development. In this way, @ is the "master"
bookmark, the one that is supposed to point to the current state of
development.

- Jordi G. H.