Re: Pytave - (probably mercurial) - - Question

From: Abhinav Tripathi
Subject: Re: Pytave - (probably mercurial) - - Question
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2016 22:36:39 +0530

Thanks Jordi for the detailed info..
Just a few more doubts please.

> It goes wherever you're standing.
>
> A big difference between git and hg is that in hg commits don't need a
> reference to "exist".

Then how do I use those commits. I mean how do I merge them into a bookmark?

> That's the convention. The only special thing about the "@" bookmark
> is that it will be the revision (commit, changeset) that will be
> checked out from new clones.

If after 'hg pull' I get that "the divergent bookmark @ has been saved as @default" do i need to worry or is it okay?

Also if I do 'hg pull' and I get a new bookmark which I need to work on. Do i have to do 'hg update' before checking out that bookmark or after that?
I didn't get the gist of what exactly 'hg update' does?

> Try navigating your repo with `hg serve` as described above and see if
> you can figure out what happened.

Thanks. Will do.

> Yeah, but merging and pushing isn't the same thing.

Yes, sorry I used the words incorrectly. I meant I just wanted those commits on my remote repo's bookmark either via a force push or merge. Because the remote bookmark already has some commits (which my local repo doesn't have) which don't conflict with any of the new commits.
Do I need to delete the bookmark, pull a fresh copy and then do the commits again. Or can I just merge my local bookmark into the remote boomark (probably by first pulling and then merging). Both the bookmarks even have different names.
.

Also can I just commit one out of 2 modified files?
'git add' prepares files for next commit. But as i understand, 'hg commit'  is only used to add newly created files into repo.
All the modified files get commited at once. Is there a way to change this behavior?

.
Thanks,
Abhinav