Re: Octave for OS X (was: How to install Octave 4.0.1 on OS X Yosemite)

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Octave for OS X (was: How to install Octave 4.0.1 on OS X Yosemite)
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2016 23:55:54 +0100

On 4 June 2016 at 20:34, Sebastian Schöps <address@hidden> wrote:
> Carnë Draug wrote
>> There is still the problem that a homebrew build is not a build with
>> free tools.  I was under the impression that wouldn't be acceptable
>> on the gnu servers.
>
> Which tool is not free? Homebrew is under BSD license. MacOS itself is not
> free but that would imply that you cannot upload any stuff for Mac?

You can upload stuff for Mac.  Just not something built on MacOSX.  The
issue is not limited to clang, homebrew uses either Oracle's or Apple's
build of java instead of building openJDK from source.

At least this is my understanding of the situation.

> Carnë Draug wrote
>> Octave Forge has historically been the place to distribute such
>> non-official builds.  I can upload them there if you want it.
>
> So let's do it? I will send you links to the dmg files.

Yup.  Send them to me.

On 4 June 2016 at 21:45, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > There is still the problem that a homebrew build is not a build with
>> > free tools.  I was under the impression that wouldn't be acceptable
>> > on the gnu servers.
>>
>> Which tool is not free? Homebrew is under BSD license. MacOS itself is not
>> free but that would imply that you cannot upload any stuff for Mac?
>>
> If it the true, windows binary cannot be appeared on the official download
> site because windows is also non-free.

Where it is used, is not the issue.  The issue is how it is built.  The
windows binaries are actually built in Linux with free tools only.

Carnë