Re: 1D PDE solver for Octave

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: 1D PDE solver for Octave
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2016 20:04:43 -0400

On Mon, 2016-07-04 at 08:57 -0400, Bill Greene wrote:
> But my strong recommendation, at this point, is just to use the pre-built
> shared library I provided the link to.

It appears that you are unfamiliar with cross-platform binary
compatibility. The mex file you built is linked against specific
versions of libraries that only exist in very specific systems. It's
also built for 32-bit Intel Linux, which will not work for other
architectures. Many of us thus can't use your codex without building it
ourselves.

> My belief is that very few Octave users will try this pde solver if
> they have to build it themselves.

You're currently talking to people who are used to building Octave.
Later we can worry about packaging and distributing your built code or
we can let our downstream packagers do it for us.

Thanks for providing a Makefile. It's a starting point.

- Jordi G. H.