Re: Website update

From: Alex Krolick
Subject: Re: Website update
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 16:28:15 +0000

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 9:03 AM Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 04:23:56 -0700, siko1056 wrote:
> While working on the website, I remembered this lost discussion.
>
> In short: There were two "X-Mas present proposals" for a website redesign.
>
> a) Jan
>
> Preview: http://greatdanton.github.io/Octave-website/index.html
> Source: https://github.com/GreatDanton/Octave-website
>
> b) Alex
>
> Preview (broken): http://whokilledtheelectricmonk.github.io/octave-web/
> Source: https://github.com/alexkrolick/octave-web
>
> The proposal by Alex was favored. It requires ruby + jekyll to build a
> static website.
>
> As Octave 4.2 is taking shape, maybe the website might get a reshape, as
> well. If Alex and/or Jan were still interested, I would help him to deploy
> the static page in a subdirectory of the current website for testing. Later
> for the 4.2 release, the new website can take over. The website development
> might move from GitHub to a new Savannah group (I don't know if one can
> register another hg-repo in the current group).

I'm afraid we are at the mercy of the limitations of Savannah and GNU
project hosting in this regard. The web site must be deployed in the cvs
repository as it is configured now. Also Savannah does not allow more
than one Mercurial repository per project.

The web site can certainly be maintained in a hg.octave.org repository,
for example, and built using some static site generation tools such as
jekyll (which I am in favor of). But someone would have to run the
generation task manually, copy the generated files into the project site
cvs repository, and cvs commit to deploy it.

--
mike

The site is built in Jekyll and generates static files. It could be easily copied from Git to a Hg repository. I think this was previously discussed and turned down in favor of hosting on GNU infrastructure, but it is possible to use a custom domain on Github pages.