Re: Inappropriate usage of pkg-config in acinclude.m4

From: siko1056
Subject: Re: Inappropriate usage of pkg-config in acinclude.m4
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 03:30:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jordi,

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
> Hah, well, I did try to get feedback for it twice before pushing it. I
> guess that's the only way to really see what people think about it:
> push it anyway and wait for someone to complain about breakage.

That's true. There are so many sources of information:

1. Mailing-Lists
1.1 Help
1.2 Maintainers

2. Savannah
2.1 Bug tracker
2.2 Patch tracker
2.3 Tasks

3. Wiki
3.1 Release Todo list
3.2 Release Bug list

4. Website
4.1 News
4.2 Online-Manual/PDF (interpreter)

5. Hydra build service.

Many of them you have to review manually and there is lots of duplicate
information. Often you search at the wrong place or have no time to read a
30 posts long bug report. There it is very easy to overlook the relevance
for a certain item. I'm sorry that I missed your source for feedback, by the
way, where did I miss my chance?

Additionally for the patch tracker. I find it inconvenient to download each
patch manually, apply it, (fix it if it was outdated), recompile Octave,
look if it works. And even then, a Mac or Windows user complains about
breaks, like today with bug #46330.

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
> I wonder what could we do to foster a better culture of code review
> around here. Maybe Phabricator could help?

About that point Lachlan said last year something similar:

LachlanA wrote
> [...] I've been submitting patches to the bug site, but there seems to be
> a big backlog of bugs with patches that haven't been applied; some also
> haven't had the status updated to "patch submitted". [...] Again, I'm
> happy to  submit patches, but again they will just join the backlog. [...]

I think introducing new tools makes only sense, if we decide to fully switch
all information to that tool. Otherwise we just introduce a 6. in my
aforementioned list.

Best,
Kai