Re: xFoo moved to octave namespace -- avoid warnings about deprecated fu

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: xFoo moved to octave namespace -- avoid warnings about deprecated functions for Forge package
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 03:03:29 -0400

On 08/02/2016 12:55 AM, Carnë Draug wrote:
You may have noticed that Octave has been moving a lot of stuff into
the octave namespace while deprecating the versions on the main
namespace.  For example, xlog2, xround, xisnan, xmin, and xmax.

If a package with oct files wants to support both the upcoming Octave
release and current previous Octave releases, this will trigger deprecation
warnings, which may cause a lot of new bug reports.

I have solved this for the image package by checking at configure time,
creating a wrapper that uses what's not deprecated, and use that wrapper
instead [1, 2]. May be of interest to other package maintainers.

We could also change Octave so that we have something like

  #if ! defined (OCTAVE_DEPRECATED)
     ... current definition ...
  #endif

and then you could just define away OCTAVE_DEPRECATED(msg) to avoid the warnings.

Or, I think you can just add the GCC option -Wno-deprecated-declarations to CXXFLAGS.