Re: Continuing Octave graphics problems

From: Sebastian
Subject: Re: Continuing Octave graphics problems
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 17:23:46 +0200

Dear Edmund,

On 2016-08-02, edmund ronald <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think you've been watching too much TV with Mr. Trump, my name is Ronald,
> and people usually call me Edmund. :)
Sorry, mea culpa. You recently corrected somebody who addressed you with
"Ronald"; so I think this is called a Freudian slip. - At least I recalled that
"Ronald" was wrong :)

> I haven't verified the qt bug on Ubuntu. If you have a link to an easy
> script, I can run it in the VM; AFAIK the Octave version which is now on
> "stable" is 4.02.
Find attached the code of Vic. On Mac and windows screen output und pdf look
different.

> I would be more worried that we might have some numerical disparities between
> platforms; in fact we did some research at the Applied Maths Lab of Ecole
> Polytéchnique, and found that numerical disparities are to be expected
> between platforms and even software upgrades, for just about any code.
These problems increase with the complexity of any code, see e.g. [1] for a
recent publication on this matter. However, basic stuff should be covered by
tests. Actually our test work much better on numerics than on images...

Sebastian

[1]
http://lorenabarba.com/news/reproducible-and-replicable-cfd-its-harder-than-you-think/