Re: mdscale function

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: mdscale function
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 10:12:34 -0400

On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 1:15 PM, rahimc <address@hidden> wrote:

It is still missing the mdscale function. Can someone
please add this function to the statistics directory?

I also see that mdscale is among the many items listed on this page of things missing from statistics to get it fully matlab compatible (the page says it was last updated in Nov 2015): http://wiki.octave.org/Statistics_package

So it seems this will require a user with knowledge of the function to code a compatible version (can just be a working m-file with matlab compatible input-output behavior), and contribute it to the Octave project. We obviously can't just take the matlab code and add it to Octave.

It appears that cmdscale was implemented in 2014, and in the code there is a line saying:
## TO DO: include missing functions `mdscale' and `procrustes' in @seealso

Is mdscale similar enough in function to cmdscale to adapt it to get a working mdscale? Perhaps you have sufficient knowledge of the function to help out with this?