Re: ode csets

From: c.
Subject: Re: ode csets
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2016 21:42:16 +0200

On 19 Oct 2016, at 21:01, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:

> The issue is made worse by the fact that there are no BIST tests for
> "InitialSlope", "MvPattern", and "MaxOrder" which might have caught this.

Rik,

The options "InitialSlope" and "MaxOrder" cannot be tested either in
ode45 or in ode23 as they make no sense for either of the two solvers
and are actually removed completely from the option structure before
invoking odemergeopts that is responsible of cecking option consistency.

This is consistent with Matlab as also there no consistency check
is made for options that are not relevant for the specific solver
being used.

The option "MvPattern", on the other hand, would make sense for the
explicit Runge-Kutta solvers, but it is also not used right now
and I would not know how to take advantage of the knowledge of the
sparsity path either.

I think the comment you added to both solvers

## FIXME: Missing tests.
## test for InitialSlope option is missing
## test for MaxOrder option is missing
## test for MvPattern option is missing

should be removed.

If you want you can add instead a reminder that these options are  not
tested in ode{45,23}.m as they are ignored and have no effect anyway.

c.