Re: Website update

From: Alex Krolick
Subject: Re: Website update
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2016 07:39:58 +0000

On Nov 1 2016, at 2:55 am, siko1056 <address@hidden> wrote:

Alex Krolick wrote
>>> 2. Reduce CSS/JS - Only the relevant components from the Foundation
>>> framework were included in the CSS, as far as I remember. Foundation has
>>> a customization page[1] and docs[2].
>>>
>>> [1]: &lt;http://foundation.zurb.com/sites/download.html/&gt;
>>> [2]: &lt;http://foundation.zurb.com/sites/docs/v/5.5.3/&gt;
>
> Would be great to deploy this with the 4.2 release announcement!

Alex,

In the repo I already added the release announcement and removed some unused
CSS for syntax highlighting, except for one file with the actual styles. The
changes are not visible online yet.

Do you think it is worth upgrading to [Foundation v.6.2.4][1]? I don't have
that much experience with this framework, especially if I break something by
naive upgrading the scripts and styles.

Foundation 6 doesn't really offer much over 5 for a site this simple. There are some breaking changes in the classes used to make navbars, etc., so upgrading would take a bit of effort -- not worth it in my opinion.

If you try out the repo version, I find the horizontal scrolling that occurs
by minimizing the browser windows annoying. This happens already in [your
first version][2]. Has this something to do with the div-wrapper or some bad
column layout?

I don't have Hg set up on this computer right now but I see there is an issue with the column layout causing overflow. This seems to fix it:
1) change the "row" class on the outermost "wrapper" div to "column"
2) add "row" to "page-content"
3) move the footer up inside the "page-content" div
4) change the donation columns to "small-12 medium-9/small-12 medium-3" so the button doesn't overflow

If that is unclear I'll try to do it later.

Best,
Kai

[1]: http://foundation.zurb.com/sites/docs/
[2]: https://alexkrolick.github.io/octave-web/