Re: Octave crashes on old MEX-files: how can I detect/prevent this?

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: Octave crashes on old MEX-files: how can I detect/prevent this?
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2016 13:10:05 +0100

Le 07/12/2016 à 09:26, Mike Miller a écrit :
On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 08:50:00 +0100, Julien Bect wrote:
But isn't this a serious problem for Octave users ?

What about installed packages, when a user upgrades from 4.0.2 to 4.2.0 ?
In the context of packages, they have always had to be reinstalled when
moving to a new major version. The mex and oct files in a package are
always installed to a directory name that includes the "api_version"
tag. In Octave 4.0 this was "api-v50+". In Octave 4.2 this is "api-v51".

If you install a package in Octave 4.0, and attempt to "pkg load" it in
Octave 4.2, it will simply not add the directory containing mex or oct
files to the load path. This has always been the case. Because of this
version tag that is embedded in the directory name, Octave avoids

Yes, I have tried with the stk package in 4.0.2 / 4.2.0 and at least this avoids the crash.

But we end up with a broken package, that appears to be installed (but actually has no mex files) and that can be loaded (be actually does not work).

The error messages that you get then are not very informative for an ordinary user.