Re: Website autodetect OS

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Website autodetect OS
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2016 16:36:45 -0800

On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 22:55:23 +0000, Parsiad Azimzadeh wrote:
> Perhaps instructions for Ubuntu might be sufficient, as this is a
> distribution that attracts new Linux users (e.g., graduate students in
> mathematics and related fields) that are not always familiar with package
> management.

That's what I personally think we should avoid. I agree Ubuntu is a
distribution that attracts new users and makes things easy, which is
precisely why they have an easy to use Software Center and a user's
manual that covers in depth how to search for and install applications.

I don't think octave.org should be a mirror for instructions on how to
install Octave using the Ubuntu Software Center.

And I think we should avoid http://xkcd.com/1654 style installation
instructions also.

--
mike