Re: Changing the way dispatch works for built-in functions

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Changing the way dispatch works for built-in functions
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 15:05:51 -0500

On 12/13/2016 01:39 AM, Julien Bect wrote:

The change that you propose also improves Matlab compatibility.

I have made a quick test on R2016a: creating svd in an ordinary
directory doesn't override the core svd function for single and double
argument ; creating the same file a a directory named "@double" does.

OK, that's good to know.

I checked in two changesets that should make this feature work. Now what's left is to tag built-in functions with the classes that they handle. The changes I checked in show what is needed using svd as an example:

  DEFUN (svd, args, nargout,
         classes: double single
         doc: /* -*- texinfo -*-
  @deftypefn  {} address@hidden =} svd (@var{A})

The class names should be the built-in class names like double, single, logical, char, cell, struct, etc. This is the string returned by the class function for an object NOT the name of the internal type used by Octave.