Re: Behaviour of Hough Transform

From: Hartmut
Subject: Re: Behaviour of Hough Transform
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 14:28:25 -0800 (PST)

Hey Chris,

you are right, the hough function is currently still misssing in the image
package of Octave. Here is what it does in Matlab: [1]. Basically it does
the Hough transformation to detect lines in images.

There exist already two relevant functions in the image package: hough_line
and hough_circle. Especially hough_line is close to what Matlab does in
hough. But to make a Matlab compatible hough function there are still some
parts missing:
* The return value of hough_line is currently only [Hough, Roh]. The Matlab
function returns [Hough, Theta, Roh].
* The possible input parameters are also different. Hough_lines accepts an
Angles parameter, this seems to be similar to what Matlab accepts as the
values of its Theta parameter-value pair. The Matlab parameter-values pair
of RhoResolution seems to be missing in the Octave version.

I have not used the Octave function hough_lines a lot, so there might well
be more incompatibilities to its Matlab pendant.

If you are interested in improving (or creating) the Octave hough function
you are very welcome. I see two ways to do this:
* write a new Matlab compatible m-file wrapper hough.m around the already
existing hough_lines.cc (This will only work out if houg_lines.cc is
reasonable compatible in its calclation output already).
* change the current hough_lines.cc code, to make the above work. You can
have a look at it here: [2]

Cheers

    Hartmut

PS: I am not subsribed to this mailing list. But you can answert me directly
and keep the mailing list in cc.

[1] http://de.mathworks.com/help/images/ref/hough.html
[2] http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/image/file/6cd0d6b5cc1e/src/hough_line.cc