Re: Octave Forge -- Looking for a new leader

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Octave Forge -- Looking for a new leader
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 06:24:52 -0800 (PST)

Oliver Heimlich wrote
> On 02.01.2017 12:58, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
>> Olaf Till wrote:

> <snip long disussion>
>
> I have compiled a list of roles and responsibilities in the wiki, which
> should reflect the current state (where Carnë represents the two roles
> “package manager” and “leader”).  Please add things which I might have
> overlooked.
>
> http://wiki.octave.org/Octave-Forge

Very good! Thank you for that.

I've read up on it and have some comments. Before editing the wiki I think
it is better to discuss the contents in the maintainers list. Shall I start
a new thread for that?

> I believe that the time consuming task of processing the release tickets
> can easily be distributed among several people if the quality criteria
> for package releases can be agreed upon.  I can help with that task
> myself (won't be available 24/7, but you can count on my support).
>
>> Revisiting Sebastian's valid point about correctness of content, that
>> looks to be a debatable responsibility even for package maintainers, let
>> alone OF leader(s). Do package maintainers really need to know all
>> nitty-gritty of functions contained in the package?
>> Taking the io package as example, it contains contributed and inherited
>> functions dealing with e.g., json and pch formats I am completely
>> unfamiliar with. I could only check help texts and conspicuous coding
>> style issues etc. but not what the functions really do.
>
> IMHO, in the long run we have to push more tasks from the Forge team to
> the package maintainers and from the package maintainers to authors and
> contributors.  Otherwise Octave Forge cannot scale with more and more
> packages. For example:
>  * package maintainers should be able to actually make the release on
> their own

Oh yes, I agree.

I think it would be useful to have "stable" and "development" releases side
by side to enable users to test packages.
For the io package I sometimes sent beta releases to interested volunteers
but that was usually only a 1 or 2 person test team. Larger audiences may
help to get more feedback.

>  * the forge team can add it to the list, if quality criteria match
>
>> Question then is: *who* is responsible at all for correctness of
>> functions in OF packages?
>
> ## This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
> ## but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
> ## MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
> ## GNU General Public License for more details.
>
> If the package maintainer gets to know about actual errors, she should
> work towards fixing it (not necessarily herself).  Eventually she may
> decide to remove a problematic function from a package.

Yep, formally no one is.

Philip