Re: Bug when dividing a scalar by a vector?

From: Marco Caliari
Subject: Re: Bug when dividing a scalar by a vector?
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 17:23:32 +0100 (CET)

On 01/12/2017 10:42 AM, Sebastian Schöps wrote:
Montgomery-Smith, Stephen wrote
My guess is that it is solving the underdetermined equation:

x1+x2+x3+x4=1.

So both solutions are correct answers.  There are infinitely many correct
answers.

If I had to choose, I guess I would go for the answer who square sum is
minimized, which would favor Octave's answer.

Thanks! That explains the behaviour and I agree that both solutions do make
sense. However, is that documented somewhere? Shouldn't there be a warning?
Similar to the case when a singular linear equation system is solved?

For which cases do you want warnings?

Do you want a warning because the particular solution is different from Matlab, or because the system is not square?

Does Matlab always warn when solving least-squares problems?

Dear all,

there was a similar discussion some years ago:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2008-04/msg00160.html

Marco