Re: OF: proposal for reviewing packages

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: OF: proposal for reviewing packages
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 22:30:12 +0100

On 12.01.2017 21:26, Colin Macdonald wrote:
> I've been somewhat following the various threads.  Here is a small
> suggestion to help with workload of the "team of admins" being discussed:
>
> Currently we package maintainers upload a tarball (and a doc tarball).
> We then wait for "team of admins" (nee Carnë) to process.
>
> Instead, we could first require that *another* package maintainer needs
> to "sign-off".  This person would ensure the package installs, tests
> pass on their machine, code is up-to-date on sourceforge, maintainers
> Makefile functions correctly, or whatever else seems appropriate (e.g.,
> a checklist on the wiki).
>
> For example:
>
>   1. I submit a ticket for a new Symbolic release.
>   2. Oliver (say) reviews that ticket and gives it a "+1".
>   3. "team of admins" can release it.
>
> Oliver is motivated to do this review because when he wants to release
> Interval, others (esp. me) will be motivated to review it.  Thus an
> additional benefit is that we newcomer OF maintainers become more
> familiar/involved with each others' packages, thus improving the OF
> community.
>
> best,
> Colin

I give +1 to this proposal.

All we have to do is subscribe to the feed [1] to be informed of new
releases and maybe write a short message that we started a peer review
for the release (to reduce the risk that several people do redundant work).

Oliver

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/package-releases/feed.rss