Re: compatibility of cov - past discussions and how to interpret for cur

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: compatibility of cov - past discussions and how to interpret for current bugfix?
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 11:13:56 -0500

On 01/17/2017 12:32 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
I was revisiting my patch for bug #48690 [1].  I initially thought cov
to be the simplest since it only takes a 2d argument, but I missed the
multiple argument aspect. trying to cover that, I just realized that
tests I'm generating to try to maintain matlab compatibility may be
running afoul of the previous decision for a planned
non-compatibility.

[...]

So, summary: there seemed to be a consensus years ago to keep the
incompatibility. with that in mind, what should target output look
like for this 'compatibility' bugfix?

Even though people have always wanted to be able to run Matlab code in Octave without having to change it, I think compatibility had a somewhat lower priority in the past and that's what lead to the decision to be incompatible here.

But now I'm not sure that it is the best thing to do.

With the current situation, is it possible (or even likely) that an incompatible answer from cov could go unnoticed?

If we were to change the default behavior, then how should we make the transition? Do we need a warning or error to alert users that code that previously worked in Octave will be wrong? If so, how do we know which behavior was desired? Or do we just warn always, for the case that currently behaves differently in Octave and Matlab?