Re: Possible inclusion in commercial support list

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: Possible inclusion in commercial support list
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 12:05:58 -0800 (PST)

John W. Eaton wrote
> FWIW, I think the biggest barrier to starting a business supporting
> Octave is that the community already provides pretty great support *for
> free*.  That's the real value of Octave.  It's not the code.  It's the
> people who are working on it.  Maybe it would be easier to get people to
> pay if you could hire all the top contributors and get them to enter
> into an exclusive relationship with your company such that they only
> provide support to paying customers and stop providing gratis support.

I would imagine that companies prefer to have support guaranteed. This is
typically not the case if you have to rely on volunteers. By the way, I know
several small engineering companies (consisting of a few employees) that
have offered solutions based on octave in the past. I think this is also the
business model of moxoff.

Sebastian