Re: GSoC 2017- Symbolic Package

From: NVS Abhilash
Subject: Re: GSoC 2017- Symbolic Package
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 01:39:38 -0800 (PST)

Mike Miller-4 wrote
> Can I ask about your earlier interest in the logm/funm project? Did you
> explore that option at all, look at work that has been done so far, or
> talk to potential mentors on that project?
>
> What led you to change your focus from what seemed like your strong
> interest in the logm/funm project to the symbolic project?

Well, I tried reaching out. But maybe I was not welcomed because of my bad
way of communicating with the potential mentor.
Maybe I was too eager and might have sounded fake. So, I really wanted to
contribute something to Octave, then I checked other potential projects and
then I read Symbolic Project, which was more active projects. I have no
complaints here, It's just that my priority changed.

Mike Miller-4 wrote

> Have you spent any more time developing the categorical array functions
> or working on some example scripts demonstrating how the categorical
> type works and why it would be beneficial to be included in Octave?

Well, not really. Maybe I was too fast, to skip the details. The reason I
paused working on categorical arrays, is because my implementation was not
serving one of the important purposes of categorical arrays. I was
implementing categorical arrays with cell arrays.

But as shown in this article
http://in.mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab_prog/advantages-of-using-categorical-arrays.html

Categorical arrays take very less space as compared to cell arrays for same
data. Which was not happening in my implementation. So I have to write the
whole code with some other data structure I guess. But I am still interested
in this project. And will think to continue the development of it.

Mike Miller-4 wrote
> An interesting idea might be to make a new datatype in Octave that is
> based on pytave's pyobject. This could be similar to the @sym data type
> in octsympy, or could be a completely new type, like an XML parser or a
> redis interface or something, just as an exploration of the types of
> concepts useful for this project.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will try to work on it.

Thank you, Mike your feedback has been always helpful :)
--
NVS

-----
NVS Abhilash