Re: GSoC 2017 - Implement boolean operations on polygons

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: GSoC 2017 - Implement boolean operations on polygons
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 00:13:04 +0100

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 6:14 PM, PhilipNienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
> abhishek singla wrote
>> My name is Abhishek Singla. I am interested in working on the idea
>> " Implement boolean operations on polygons".
>> I have knowledge of C++ and have also used octave as part of my curriculum
>> in subject Numerical Mathematics.
>> I want to contribute to the idea as I think I possess the required skill
>> set for this. But I do not know how to start working on it.
>> I would highly appreciate if you could give me a brief procedure on how to
>> get started on this idea.
>
> The description of this project needs to be adapted.
> Last year most of this has already been implemented (by Amr Keleg who did
> good work), but not yet integrated into the geometry or mapping package. To
> get that far several issues have to be solved:
>
> - Weeding out the Boost library dependency (comprising just include files).
> In the eyes of the involved package maintainers (who weren't involved as
> mentors) this is a ridiculously large library compared to the two or three
> functions that use it.
>
> - Polishing the existing code (a.o., error catching, input validation, etc).
>
> - Making the code independent of just one Boost version (currently 1.60).
>
> More info in the patch tracker, see patch #9000.
>
> I doubt if the above three together would qualify for a GSOC project.
>
> Philip
>

> --

Hi,

Exactly as Phillip said, the interaciont with boost has to be more clever.

If you want to move in another direction, binding to CGAL[1] would be
another option. This will also allows us to have many other cool
functions for geometry.
Now this approach might be worth a new package maybe called CGAL.
Just to have it in mind. Choose wisely (hint: the boost cleaning up is
simpler).

[1]: http://doc.cgal.org/latest/Boolean_set_operations_2/index.html