Re: GSoC 2017 - Implement boolean operations on polygons

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: GSoC 2017 - Implement boolean operations on polygons
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 11:52:30 -0700

On Mar 17, 2017, at 2:56 AM, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 9:41 AM, PhilipNienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote
On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 9:56 PM, piyushjain &lt;

piyushjain1sa@

&gt; wrote:
Sir, I went through the current geometry package development and also
read
about mkoctfile command, and how to use oct create and use oct-files.

So, can you tell me what are the milestones of the project? I mean,going
step-wise, what do I need to implement?

So you know what you want to pursue already?
1. Cleanning up the boost interface
2. Adding clipper interface, read this
https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?func=detailitem&item_id=9000#options

From my memory, the Clipper interface should be about done.
I'm still busy with making it clip polylines (works now) and interpolating Z
values (got stuck there); but for "ordinary" 2D polygons I think it just
works as it is.

Philip

--

In that case I suggest you provide patches to integrate Philip work
into geomtry, following the guidelines described in that savanah

One final comment. I know I pushed the Boost solution because at the time I thought it had the most robust solution for self-intersecting polygons, polygons with parallel lines, etc. I now feel a little bad that we spent all that time and it hasn’t been incorporated into the package. It is quite cumbersome to get Boost set up to compile with the version that supports self-intersection correction. I think that more work could be done to make it a much better solution by making a “Point concept abstraction” that would allow it to operate on the Octave variable data in-place without having to copy. For larger datasets, this could be a huge memory (and potentially performance) improvement over the other solutions where you have to transform the Octave data into the format required by the library.

Has anyone ever explored the license for GPC (http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~toby/gpc/)? It says it is free for private/hobbyist/education purposes, but I don’t know whether the license is compatible with the GPL and Octave. From my experience, GPC is one of the fastest and most robust polygon clipper out there. Maybe we overlooked it because of its split license and the fact that the license isn’t very well defined?

John S.