Re: Integrating Pytave and Nnet

From: enricobertino
Subject: Re: Integrating Pytave and Nnet
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 10:03:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I have some questions about how namespaces are treated in Pytave and how
modules are imported.

1) If I understand correctly, the global namespace is shared between pyexec
and pyeval. Local namespaces can also be used, defining python dictionaries
and passing them as arguments to the functions. For example I can run:

 NS = pyeval ("{}");
 pyexec ("import numpy as np", NS)
 pyeval("np.sqrt(2)", NS)

and it works correctly. But what about pycall? The global namespace is
shared between pyexec and pycall? Because for example if I define a function
with pyexec as

 pyexec (["import numpy as np\n" ...
           "def squareroot(x):\n" ...
           "    s = np.sqrt(x)\n" ...
           "    return s"]);

than I can recall the function as

 pycall ("squareroot", 4)

but I can not call

 pycall ("np.sqrt", 4)

getting the error: "pycall: no such Python function or callable: np.sqrt"

Is there a reason for that?

2) Unfortunately, I am not able to import Tensorflow, that is the module
that should be used for the project. I tried to import several others
modules, both with pyexec ("import MODULE") and
pyeval("__import__('MODULE')") and everything was good. I also tried to
implement a basic nnet with an other neural networks module, Theano, and it
worked. But when I try

 pyexec("import tensorflow")

I get two different errors, first time

 error: pyexec: AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'argv'

and second time

 error: pyexec: ImportError: Traceback (most recent call last):
 File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/tensorflow/python/__init__.py", line
61, in <module>
 from tensorflow.python import pywrap_tensorflow
 ImportError: cannot import name pywrap_tensorflow

that is a weird Tensorflow error. The Tensorflow package is correctly
installed as the others modules and I can use it normally in python. Any
idea on how this problem could be solved?

Thank you very much!

Enrico

Ps. I'm using Ubuntu 16.10, Octave 4.3.0+ installed from source and Python
2.7.12+