Re: Opinions: exceptions in user oct files

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Opinions: exceptions in user oct files
Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 09:07:24 +0200

On Mon, May 01, 2017 at 01:39:22PM -0700, Mike Miller wrote:
>  - Should Octave catch any unknown exception object and turn it into a
>    general error message, preventing the interpreter from a hard exit?
>
>  - Or should Octave require that user code not throw any exceptions
>    other than the ones that Octave knows how to handle?

I think the latter is better, maybe with the addition that Octave
attempts a core dump.

The thing is that Octave doesn't know the consequences of the cause
for the uncaught exception in user code. If one of the consequences
is, e.g., a memory leak, the faulty user code could eat up the memory
if called in a loop with try-catch.

Olaf