Re: Eliminating Singleton Objects (Re: Coloring error and warning messag

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Eliminating Singleton Objects (Re: Coloring error and warning messages in the gui console)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 16:50:10 -0400

On 05/09/2017 04:13 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

For
example, intermixing of GUI and core/interpreter is unnecessary, as I
feel there is a wealth of built-in commands that offer up all the
information the GUI needs, if only there were a simple routine to return
the result of an interpreter command (which can be done across a thread
by passing a pointer to an octave_value_list rather than a reference to
an octave_value_list).

I don't see how a reference is different from a pointer for that purpose. Can you explain?

In any case, yes, I agree that it would be better to have a better mechanism for GUI <-> interpreter communication. I know you had a proposal for this some time ago. I would be glad to take another look at that now.