Re: Octave Forge website internally re-structured, checks advisable

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Octave Forge website internally re-structured, checks advisable
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 17:52:34 +0200

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 10:20:31AM +0200, Julien Bect wrote:
> Le 16/06/2017 à 17:07, Olaf Till a écrit :
> >among other internal changes at the Octave Forge website the index
> >pages of all packages are now generated dynamically. This provides
> >better control over appearance and links.
> >
> >The current version of the generate_html package ideally should
> >produce identical pages, for local checking. But at the website we
> >don't depend on the generate_html version anymore for the index pages.
> >
> >Though I've tested the change, I couldn't look into everything in
> >every package. So it'd be advisable that maintainers take a look at
> >their packages(') index page(s) to check that everything is there and
> >the links work.
> >
> >Note that you'll possibly have to reload the page with your browser,
> >to avoid using a cached copy (this is a problem with the _previous_
> >versions of the index pages).
>
> Hi Olaf,
>
> There are a few problems on https://octave.sourceforge.io/stk/index.html :
>
>  * Some fields from the DESCRIPTION are missing: Last Release Date, Package
> Author, Package Maintainer.

Thanks for checking.

I didn't check why the website wasn't able to extract these from
stk/index.html, but provided a description.json file for stk to the
website. Current generate_html will generate such a file, so this will
be fixed also in the future.

>  * <b> </b> tags in the description text appear as plain text.  (If such
> tags are a problem, I can remove them from future OF releases.)

These tags are not present in description.json, it just takes the
first sentence of 'Description:' in INDEX. It is no use trying to put
html tags into this field, the website code puts it out literally.

> -----
>
> If I generate the doc directly in octave 4.2.1 with generate_html 0.3.1,
>
> >> generate_package_html ('stk', [], 'octave-forge')
>
> all the fields are there (there are no <b> tags in this case, but it is
> normal, they are added by the MM).
>
> However:
>
> 1) the release date is set to the current date (19-Jun-2017), and not the
> date in DESCRIPTION (6-May-2017).

I couldn't reproduce this, I got 16-May-2017.

> 2) the "Licence" field now contains "Read licence" instead of "GNU Public
> Licence v3".

You should add a 'License:' field to INDEX. For now, I've added
"GPLv3+" to description.json.

BTW I noticed another website problem while checking this, but that's
off topic here.

Olaf