OF packages using Matlab-compatible code (was "pending dataframe-1.2.0 r

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: OF packages using Matlab-compatible code (was "pending dataframe-1.2.0 release")
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 15:49:21 -0700

On 2017-08-20 08:32 AM, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
IMO, a package should be allowed to maintain Matlab compatibility.  In
the end this can only be beneficial to the end user at a low cost.

I agree. In addition to Doctest which was already mentioned, Symbolic also tries to use Matlab-compatible syntax.

1. Having people run it on Matlab has caught some bugs that I otherwise might not have found.

2. We might uncover and fix incompatibilities in core Octave. This has happened with Doctest (the implementation of "evalc" for example).

3. Its not inconceivable that a Matlab user might choose an Octave-Forge package and thus be drawn towards software freedom.

The situation is perhaps analogous to porting Free Software to proprietary operating systems. I think this is widely viewed as an ethically-sound activity (I thought there was a better reference but for now I found a list of [Free Software for Windows, hosted by FSF](https://www.gnu.org/software/for-windows.en.html)).

Overall, I think this is a decision best left to package authors and maintainers.

best,
Colin