Re: Miscellaneous build warnings

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: Miscellaneous build warnings
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 06:57:19 +0200

On 29.08.2017 01:30, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 07/05/2017 03:05 PM, Torsten wrote:
>> On 03.07.2017 19:05, Rik wrote:
>>> 7/3/17
>>>
>>> I'm seeing the following when building Octave:
>>>
>>> libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name 'horizontalLayout_17'
>>> (QHBoxLayout) is already in use, defaulting to 'horizontalLayout_171'.
>>> libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name 'horizontalSpacer_33'
>>> (QSpacerItem) is already in use, defaulting to 'horizontalSpacer_331'.
>>> src/shared-fcns.h:174:1: warning: ‘std::__cxx11::string
>>> prepend_octave_home(const string&)’ defined but not used
>>> [-Wunused-function]
>>>
>>> None of this looks tragic, but maybe someone knows if they can be
>>> silenced.
>>
>> The warnings from settings-dialog.ui should be fixed with cset
>> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/154c876e241b
>>
>> Torsten
>
> I'm seeing similar warnings again:
>
> /home/jwe/src/octave/libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name
> 'verticalLayout_9' (QVBoxLayout) is already in use, defaulting to
> 'verticalLayout_91'.
> /home/jwe/src/octave/libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name
> 'gridLayout_2' (QGridLayout) is already in use, defaulting to
> 'gridLayout_22'.
> /home/jwe/src/octave/libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name
> 'label_16' (QLabel) is already in use, defaulting to 'label_161'.
> /home/jwe/src/octave/libgui/src/settings-dialog.ui: Warning: The name
> 'horizontalSpacer_18' (QSpacerItem) is already in use, defaulting to
> 'horizontalSpacer_181'.
>
> Can you explain how you fixed these kinds of warnings previously so I
> can maybe do it myself in the future?  Do you just edit the XML in the
> .ui file by hand, or do you use qtcreator, or ??
>
> Thanks,
>
> jwe

The variable editor including new objects in the settings dialog was
pushed recently. During the long development of this changeset, other
changes in the dialog have created new objects with the same name. Maybe
we should always give unique names to each new object in the dialog
instead of automatic names selected by qt-designer (which is the
graphical tool for editing settings.dialog.ui). I can do these changes
tonight.

Torsten