Re: [octave forge] new external package

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: [octave forge] new external package
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 07:41:39 +0200

Le 31/08/2017 à 01:13, Juan Pablo Carbajal a écrit :
On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 7:32 PM, Julien Bect
<address@hidden> wrote:
Le 20/08/2017 à 23:21, JuanPi a écrit :
I want to contribute the gpml (Gaussian Processes for Machine
Learning) package to the octave ecosystem.
I keep a repository here[1], which is a snapshot of the released version
[2].

Since the original developer contributed (and might do it in the
future), I keep the structure of the original code, but provide an
extra folder 'pkg_octave' with files used by 'Makefile' to generate
the package, i.e. only the result of 'make release' has the octave
forge package structure.

I am still struggling to converge to a method to include test and
demos and to improve the documentation. Oliver has gave me some nice
clues, but any suggestion is welcome. See [3] for the mailing list
thread.

In [4] you will find a file that should be installable using 'pkg
install gpml-4.0.0'

Regards,

JPi

[1]: https://bitbucket.org/KaKiLa/gpml
[2]: http://gaussianprocess.org/gpml/
[3]:
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/OF-Docs-Demos-and-Test-for-External-package-td4681888.html
[4]:https://bitbucket.org/KaKiLa/gpml/downloads/gpml-4.0.0.tar.gz

Hi JPi,

Cool.  Having GPML readily available in Octave would be nice.  A few ideas /
remarks :

* I wouldn't block the release for problems related to tests / demos / etc.
You can improve these aspects later.

* Is startup.m (at the root) needed in the octave package ?  If not, I would
remove it.  If yes, perhaps rename it to a less generic name ?

* The developper manual should be in /doc, not inst/doc, I think.

* The m-files that only provide documentation (such as meanFunctions.m,
covFunctions.m...) could perhaps be renamed with a "gpml_" prefix.  This
would make them much easier to find using completion.

* Same remark for demoClassificaton, usagePrior, etc.

* inst/doc/changelog -> ChangeLog (at the root) ?

@++
Julien

Hi Julien,
Thanks for the feedback. I will implement your suggestions.

How should I proceed with the release? Shall I upload code and html to
the sf as we do with community packages?

I think that first you have to ask the admins for a repo on OF, and synchronize your external repo with it.

Then you can create your first release candidate and ask for a review on the release tracker.

Olaf or Oliver should be able to tell you more about this.