Memory leaks in Octave

From: Rik
Subject: Memory leaks in Octave
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 10:32:33 -0700

The development branch of Octave has switched away from Valgrind (slow) to
using a fast, lightweight memory checker (Address Sanitizer) which is built
in to the code.  It is very easy to do as there is a configure option,
"--enable-address-sanitizer-flags", which sets everything up.  Because this
is new and relatively unknown, I wrote a Wiki entry for it at
http://wiki.octave.org/Finding_Memory_Leaks.

Running '__run_test_suite__' seems to work.  But I assume there are still
plenty of ways to cause problems because I found two within 5 minutes just
by trying a few commands.  Maybe I was extraordinarily unlucky, but it
would be useful if others could build with the Address Sanitizer and then
run operate normally, i.e., use it for regular use and run your own scripts
through it to see if it provokes any errors.

--Rik