Re: heads-up on MacOS X & Java

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: heads-up on MacOS X & Java
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2017 11:47:57 -0700

On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 13:12:03 -0400, Ben Abbott wrote:
> With macOS 10.13, Apple has depreciated Java 1.6 for the Mac.
>
> More recent versions do not work with Octave.

Can you clarify what you think this means and what Octave should be
doing differently? Or what specific error you have?

My understanding of Java versions is that Java 9 was just released last
month. In Java 9, Java 1.5 code is now an error and Java 1.6 code is
warned as being deprecated but still works. I changed our build system
to compile for the Java 6 target to be as backwards compatible as
possible while still supporting Java 9.

--
mike