Re: mxe-octave status

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: mxe-octave status
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2017 17:09:37 -0400

On 10/21/2017 04:58 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

Results with a --disable-system-opengl32 mxe-octave build:

I can confirm the crash on a PC with older Intel card (with the default Windows opengl32.dll) when removing / renaming the Octave-supplied (mesa-)opengl32.dll. Octave works fine there with the mesa-openg32.dll

OK, thanks for testing.

I think we now have a good way to provide OpenGL based graphics when the OpenGL implementation provided by the system causes trouble. Getting LLVM to build for Windows so we can have the llvmpipe renderer will improve performance, but at least it works now.

On any system, __opengl_info__ doesn't work the first time. But the second time, or after having made a simple "plot (1:10)", __opengl_info__ does work. So apparently there's some initialization issue. It doesn't matter which opengl32.dll (Octave, system) is in use.

Earlier builds (octave & mxe-octave hg-id's) had the same issue; when running __run_test_suite__ I usually got a FAIL for __opengl_info__ but afterwards, "test __opengl_info__" worked.

__opengl_info__ requires an opengl context. If one is not already available, then it tries to create one. There is a 0.1 second delay between creating a figure and inquiring about the opengl capabilities. Does increasing that delay help to avoid the failure on your system?