Re: Octave port to OpenVMS on a Dec Alpha / VAX

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave port to OpenVMS on a Dec Alpha / VAX
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 13:07:39 -0400

On 10/26/2017 11:06 AM, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
On 10/25/2017 10:09 AM, Dietz, Guido wrote:
Are you aware of any working Octave port to OpenVMS on a Dec Alpha or a VAX? Where may I find that?
I am not aware of one, but I worked on OpenVMS in the past and I am pretty sure that I had Octave running, by bringing up GCC/G++ and recompiling Octave. I don't remember any details because it was 20 years ago, but I think it wasn't difficult, just tedious.

I discussed this a bit with Guido off the list. It would be an interesting thing to do as a portability test if nothing else. I do have some experience with VMS, but it's been at least a decade.

To summarize:

I think it would be best to start with the current sources. We aim for portable C++11. For any non-standard POSIX features, we use a well-defined set of wrappers around functions from gnulib.

If you had asked me about this six months ago, I probably would have thought it would be next to impossible, but recently I saw some posts on the gnulib mailing list about improving support for VMS systems:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=VMS&submit=Search%21&idxname=bug-gnulib&max=20&result=normal&sort=date%3Alate

So maybe this idea is not too crazy.

I'd begin by disabling all optional features. This should happen automatically if the configure script can't find the necessary libraries to support optional features. Then you can add optional dependencies as need them.

The build system requires some basic Unix tools to run, /bin/sh and utilities, plus a reasonably current version of GNU Make, Perl and possibly Python. Is that all possible with VMS? I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting.

But then...

What compilers are available for VMS? Is there a GCC port? Or is there only VMS C, C++, and Fortran?

The only info I can find for VMS C++ compilers is this:

  http://h41379.www4.hpe.com/commercial/cplus/alpha_doc/index.html

and the document linked there has a date of 2007. Since Octave requires C++11 features now, I am sure the compiler documented there will not be sufficient.

The most recent version of GCC for VMS that I could find was either 3.x or 4.0.x and those are both too old for building Octave.

Unless there is another more modern C++ compiler available, I don't think it will be possible to build the current version of Octave for VMS.

Building some older version of Octave from a dozen years ago might be possible, but will surely bring up its own set of porting issues. Given how much Octave has changed in the last ten years or so, solving those problems will probably not be of much help to the current version of Octave. That makes this idea much less interesting to me.