Re: Release 4.4.0

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Release 4.4.0
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 08:35:44 -0800

On 12/23/2017 09:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
ForwardedMessage.eml
Re: Release 4.4.2 plans
From:
Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden>
Date:
12/22/2017 02:48 PM
To:
Michael Godfrey <address@hidden>
CC:
Rik <address@hidden>, octave-maintainers <address@hidden>
Message:
1

On Dec 22, 2017 5:40 PM, "Michael D Godfrey" <address@hidden> wrote:

On 12/22/2017 10:08 PM, Rik wrote:
On 12/22/2017 01:35 PM, Michael D Godfrey wrote:

On 12/22/2017 09:31 PM, Rik wrote:
Oops.  I mistyped.  I meant a 4.2.2 bug fix release of the stable branch.  4.4.0 is still a long ways off.

--Rik
I pretended that I did not notice:-):-)

I'm just used to being confused.

Last release someone took on the task of making a bug checklist, and then he and others sorted into critical, nice to have, and can wait. I think he also tackled a lot of the bug reviews.

I have done that for at least two releases.  For 4.2.0 I also got help from Lachlan Andrew.  There are already wiki templates that could be copied over if we want to do this is the same way.  The checklist for a release is at http://wiki.octave.org/4.2.0_Release_Checklist.  An example of the bug fix list is at http://wiki.octave.org/Bug_Fix_List_-_4.2.0_Release.  If we were a large commercial organization there would be a person dedicated to getting the release out, but alas that is not us and I don't have time to manage it for 4.4.0.

One of the items in the Release Checklist is to incorporate GSOC project code and patches which look good from the patch tracker.  It is best to do that early as that will de-stabilize things for a while and we want to get some testing on the new code before sending it out in to the world.

--Rik