Re: Xft library warning?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Xft library warning?
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 18:31:05 -0600

On 01/11/2018 04:48 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 16:28:01 -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
If I understand correctly, we only check for Xft if X11 is present.

We currently check for Xft unconditionally, right? The comment says
"when using X11", but that looks out of date.

How can
we know whether X11 is not needed on OS X?  Or how can we tell whether Xft
is not needed, regardless of whether X11 is needed?

I think we should remove the check completely (either now or eventually)
because Octave doesn't actually care about libXft at all.

AFAICT the check was added because some distributions didn't install it
as a dependency for other libraries that we do use and the build broke.

The only negative consequence of removing this check might be that
someone on some distribution may have a build failure because their
package manager isn't pulling in Xft when they should.

You may be right. For the record, here is a link to the mailing list discussion that prompted this change:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2013-11/msg00629.html

That was more than 4 years ago now.  Maybe it is no longer an issue.