Command Line suggestion feature.

From: Sudeepam Pandey
Subject: Command Line suggestion feature.
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 22:03:52 +0530

Hello to the community,

This is in reference to the command line suggestion feature. bug #46881 (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?46881)

I have thought of a neural network based approach and have already developed a small working model for it. (https://github.com/Sudeepam97/Did_You_Mean)

Basically, I'll be training a neural network to learn the correct spellings of existing functions of Octave, this will be done by training the network on:

a) The correct spellings of the function.
b) Misspelled spellings of the function.

We will then merge the 'trained network' with Octave to realize the 'Did you mean' suggestion feature. Since, we'll be using a trained network, chances of the code being 'slow' are eliminated.

In my current implementation, which, I've, only made to showcase my idea, I have trained the network on the correct spellings and spellings shifted one place with a null character.

If we could train the network on the most common spelling errors then this approach would be even more effective. This will be a community driven project and I would like to work on this for GSoC 2018. This project has been mentioned on the ideas list page but a mentor has not been allotted yet. It would be really nice if a potential mentor would like to discuss the idea with me.

I have only, very briefly explained my approach and haven't gone into the depths of what I have been thinking. If this idea is well received, I could give a detailed description of everything that I have been thinking.

I am really sorry if this email looks rushed up.

Thankyou,
P SUDEEPAM