Re: 4.3.90 release candidate

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: 4.3.90 release candidate
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 10:43:12 -0700

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 10:27:05 -0700, Rik wrote:
> On 04/11/2018 10:09 AM, Mike Miller wrote:
> > Probably because everything else uses pkg-config, and FLTK uses
> > fltk-config. The extra space is inside the variables.
> So I can throw in a sed to strip things?
>
> sed -e 's/^ \+//'

Oh, I remember now, we have a loop over all the words returned by
fltk-config --cflags and --ldflags, because we only want options that
start with -I and -l. So the extra space is the typical result of doing

    FLTK_CPPFLAGS="$FLTK_CPPFLAGS $fltk_option"

in a loop, where FLTK_CPPFLAGS starts out empty. So you could fix that
with something like

    FLTK_CPPFLAGS="${FLTK_CPPFLAGS:+$FLTK_CPPFLAGS }$fltk_option"

Or just use sed at the end.

> Agreed, this is not something I want to do now, but I was wondering if it
> was possible.  It sounds like it *may* be possible.

Yes we could identify which Qt tools are needed to build the release
(lrelease, qcollectiongenerator), and which are needed to build code,
and separate that logic in configure to make certain tools optional,
maybe with the build-aux/missing helper script.

> Well, technically a user would only have to have a JRE installed rather
> than a JDK installed.  That might be a nice thing.

The end user still needs the jni.h header file to compile ov-java.cc,
which is part of the JDK.

For mxe-octave we pull jni.h from the web, we could possibly include
some known version of jni.h in the source tree for all platforms.

--
mike