Re: Octave v4.4 in PPA

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave v4.4 in PPA
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 09:12:15 -0700

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 09:07:32 +0100, Richard Crozier wrote:
> I recognise that Flatpak is the better option in principle, but it is not
> available on Ubuntu 14.04 which is an LTS release which is supported until
> 2019.

For the same reasons that Flatpak is not available for Ubuntu 14.04, it
becomes harder and harder to backport new native packages to stale
releases, whether they have hit EOL or not. Supported until 2019 only
applies to the Ubuntu main repository, everything else is optional.

I do hope that Flatpak and Snap will make this backporting problem
obsolete for most users, but users do have to first be on a stable
platform that supports Flatpak (GLib 2.44, released March 2015).

> Regarding Flatpak, I saw there is some sandboxing for Flatpak applications,
> can Octave access system libraries (in /usr/local I mean) and so on for
> linking to oct/mex files? Also, can octave use sockets when installed with
> Flatpak to communicate with non-Flatpak applications?

It cannot access system libraries installed in /usr or /usr/local by
design, but it can access anything in your home directory.

I'm not entirely sure if the Flatpak developers have a plan to deal with
applications that are extendable or pluggable requiring additional
libraries.

Network sockets are shared with the host so Octave can communicate with
native local services and applications.

--
mike