Re: Quick Question about GNU Octave using

From: Ian McCallion
Subject: Re: Quick Question about GNU Octave using
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 16:38:23 +0100

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018, 15:49 John W. Eaton, <address@hidden> wrote:
On 07/09/2018 10:31 AM, marco atzeri wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 3:30 AM, 김성희 <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Dear the person in charge.
>>
>> Hello,
>> I am Seonghee Kim at PI Group WISOL co.,ltd.
>> I am writing to know GNU Octave using.
>>
>> I wonder If It is used for commercial either It is illegal or not.
>>
>> I look forward to your reply.
>
> The license is very clear
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/license.html
> https://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
>
> There is no restriction on the usage.

Yes, but we need to be careful about what people are thinking of when
they say "commercial" and "use".

Some people may be thinking "use for commercial purposes" means
"incorporating in and distributing as part of a proprietary product"
that has a license that is not compatible with the GPL.  Distributing
Octave under terms that are not compatible with the GPL is not allowed.

But if you are just running the software to do calculations as part of a
commercial enterprise, then no, there are no restrictions.

Another possible interpretation of "Commercial Use" is a product that is sold but depends on Octave to work and the user is instructed to install Octave before trying to use the product.

I assume this is allowed.

Cheers... Ian