Drop fftpack sources from Octave?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Drop fftpack sources from Octave?
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 17:51:01 -0400

Does anyone object to removing fftpack sources from Octave and relying on FFTW as the only way to perform FFT calculations?

I propose to remove fftpack sources from Octave and rely on FFTW to perform FFT calcuations. FFTW will still be an optional dependency, but if it is missing, no built-in FFT functions will be available in Octave.

As it is now, we still have fftpack sources included in the Octave source tree but I suspect they are rarely used because just about any modern system has FFTW packaged, and if not, it is easily available.