Re: macOS 4.4.0 DMG (beta2) ready for testing

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: macOS 4.4.0 DMG (beta2) ready for testing
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 03:47:22 -0400

On 7/17/18 1:04 AM, sshah wrote:
Since the lates homebrew octave 4.4.0_2 runs fine and installs all packages
I use (control, signal, struct, parallel, quaternion), I assumed the problem
was the App bundle.
That's a good assumption. It does look like there's something wrong with the
app bundle, and specifically with its bundled gfortran.

I have a theory about what's happening here: Octave.app uses "-march=core2" to
build portable binaries. But the mechanism we are using to do that applies
only to clang. If I recall correctly, GCC uses a bootstrapped build process.
So later stages of the bootstrapped build, including the gfortran program,
may not be picking that switch up.

I have changed how we're setting those flags, and made a new beta5 build
that may fix this problem. Could you download and test this one? No "setenv(...)"
should be necessary with it.

https://github.com/octave-app/octave-app/releases/download/v4.4.0-beta5/Octave-4.4.0-beta5.dmg
That said, why does the App die silently when I try to use the packages that
were installed for Homebrew version?

[...]
So, the two installs, Homebrew and the App are not compatible on a given
machine. Only one can be installed and used currently.
That's not good. I had assumed that the packages would be compatible between
the two, as long as they were the same Octave version and compiled with
compatible library dependencies.

This one, I can reproduce. I installed "control" using Octave.app, and when I
try to run it under my Homebrewed octave:

octave:1> pkg load control
octave:2> bode(ss(-1, 1, 1, 0))
fatal: caught signal Abort trap: 6 -- stopping myself...
[1]    63078 abort      octave

And vice versa, Octave.app crashes if I try to use a "control" package installed
from the Homebrewed octave.

Since I can reproduce it on my machine, where I built Octave.app, this one is not
an architecture issue like the gfortran issue above.

I believe it's our goal to have Octave.app and a Homebrewed Octave
coexist on the same machine, so this is a problem. I will do some research on
how the Octave package system works so I can understand why this is
happening, and see what we can do about it.

Thanks for helping us test this out, sshah!

Cheers,
Andrew