Octave.app 4.4.0 RC1 available for testing

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Octave.app 4.4.0 RC1 available for testing
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2018 19:50:05 -0400

Hi, Octave maintainers,

Sebastian and I have fixed up a few bugs, and have an Octave.app 4.4.0 Release Candidate 1 macOS DMG ready for testing.

https://github.com/octave-app/octave-app/releases/download/v4.4.0-rc1/Octave-4.4.0-rc1.dmg

Packages are fixed: we fixed the Fortran compiler "Illegal instruction" issue, and are taking care of the path-dependent octfile linkage issue by having Octave.app set its own custom package installation path. This does mean that packages need to be reinstalled for Octave.app releases instead of re-used from another Octave on your system.

This build uses JDK 1.8 u181 for Java support, and OS X 10.11 El Capitan or higher.

The issue of octfiles not being portable between Octaves at different paths remains. Sorry, sshah. This depends on https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?53627.

The octfile issue notwithstanding, we think this version is ready for distribution to end users.

Cheers,
Andrew Janke