Re: Enhancing web pages with Twitter Cards ?

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Enhancing web pages with Twitter Cards ?
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2018 11:43:29 +0200

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 11:37 AM Julien Bect <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi John, hi all,

You might consider adding a few meta-data tags to some of your web pages
to make them look nicer on Twitter, using Cards [1].

For instance, on the page that announces the 4.4.1 release [2] you could
try this :

content="https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/news/release/2018/08/09/octave-4.4.1-released.html"
/>
released and is now available for download. An official Windows binary
installer is also available." />
content="https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/img/octave-logo.svg" />

I have no experience with these Twitter Cards, I simply adapted the
example from [1], so perhaps some of the tags are actually redundant
with existing tags on the page.

@++
Julien

[1]
https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/tweets/optimize-with-cards/guides/getting-started.html

[2]
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/news/release/2018/08/09/octave-4.4.1-released.html

Hi Julien,

Do I get it right, that the "twitter" cards is just some meta markup, that can be included in Octave's Newsfeed?  This might not be a big deal.  But what is the benefit of this effort (explained to a non-Twitter-user like me)?  This is not clear to me from the url [1].

Best,
Kai