Re: configure --help

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: configure --help
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 10:40:01 -0800

On Tue, Feb 05, 2019 at 09:34:52 -0800, Rik wrote:
> The last lines from running configure --help are
>
> Report bugs to <https://octave.org/bugs.html>.
> GNU Octave home page: <https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/>.
> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/>.
>
> The link for bugs is not actually where you report bugs.  It is a page
> about HOW to report a bug.  Should we change the language in configure?

We can change this one to whatever we want. I think it's best the way it
is now, it should help direct users to get help or report bugs, which
are often conflated.

> Also, the first two links use https, while the laste is plain old http.
> Any reason?

The last is completely under the control of Autoconf, so it will change
when Autoconf 2.70 is released.

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/autoconf.git/diff/lib/autoconf/general.m4?id=d3dcd5895d64

If we really want to, we could use the bootstrap_epilogue function hook
to postprocess the output of Autoconf, but I would rather leave it and
wait for Autoconf 2.70.

--
mike