Re: RC2 / 5.0.91

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: RC2 / 5.0.91
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 11:45:23 -0800

On Thu, Feb 07, 2019 at 14:15:04 -0500, Andrew Janke wrote:
> I wonder if, for the test suite, the system and/or site octavercs should be
> treated differently from the user octaverc, because this might be used to
> make configuration changes for Octave to work correctly in the environment
> in which it's installed?

In that case, you can choose to run the test suite with octave
--no-init-file. This loads the system startup files but avoids loading
user startup files.

I feel like this subthread is trying to define a strict environment that
the test suite should always be run in. IMHO that is not the right
direction at all. The test suite should be run in the user's normal
working environment.

> Thoughts on how to handle this? Should site octaverc still be run when doing
> test suite runs? Is Octave.app doing the Right Thing by relying on the site
> octaverc to do important tool configuration?

Yes, I think this is exactly the right thing.

--
mike